Nuance and Claro Software Introduces Speak & See Accessibility Suite
Posted on: 5/10/2010
Powerful accessibility tools for reading writing and accessibility combine with Dragon NaturallySpeaking to allow students to reach their full potential
May 10th – Claro Software and Nuance Communications today introduced Nuance Speak & See, a suite of powerful tools designed to provide unparalleled support for reading, writing and accessibility on the PC. The Nuance Speak & See suite combines speech recognition, a screen reader and magnifier, a reading and writing toolbar, and a language learning assistant to make it easier than ever for students with physical disabilities and learning difficulties to work with a PC.
VIDEO: Speak & See in action
With four different tools in one software package, Speak & See Suite gives universal access to information and text for PC users with a range of difficulties. Anyone who experiences reading difficulties, has English as a second language, wants to learn foreign languages, or suffers from sight loss or limited vision, can benefit from the Suite’s complete range of tools that are on offer. Speak & See allows people to hear spoken words, helping to distinguish between different pronunciations and meanings, depending on context, making it even easier to learn English.
Speak & See Suite also includes Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred 10, the award-winning speech recognition software. It can provide help to those with upper body mobility and literacy problems, or those unable to type very well.
A suite of powerful accessibility tools in one software package, Nuance Speak & See makes it easier to use a PC, with greater independence:
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking – Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 Preferred gives PC users the power to create documents, reports and emails three times faster than most people type, with up to 99% accuracy. Surf the Web by voice or dictate and edit in Microsoft Word and Excel, Corel WordPerfect and most other Windows-based applications. New Dragon Voice Shortcuts reduce common tasks to simple voice commands. Or create custom commands to insert blocks of texts or bitmaps - such as your name, title and signature - with a single voice command. Edit and format text faster than ever with Quick Voice Formatting™. You can even dictate into a handheld device when you’re away from your PC, or use a Bluetooth microphone.
- Reading and Writing Support Toolbar – Anyone who has difficulty reading or writing will find this a highly useful software tool. It makes any text more accessible, by converting it to speech as it is being read or written and delivering it in a human-sounding voice.
- Screen Magnifier – Magnifying the entire screen or a selected area – by up to 6 times – this tool is ideal for anyone with visual impairment; smooth fonts to make them clearer at higher magnification.
- Reading Ruler – The horizontal highlighting and magnifying band of the Reading Ruler makes it easier to see and concentrate on text or objects on screen. Items within the band can be magnified and have their contrast changed; the area outside the band can also be greyed or dimmed out.
- Color Overlay – Home PC users find the screen difficult to browse or read. By changing the color of the screen ‘overlay’ and varying the level of tint, this tool can provide a clearer view, making browsing the web and reading text on screen easier.
- Language Learning Assistant – When English is not someone’s first language, the only way they can be sure of pronunciation is to hear the spoken words – particularly when one spelling can have two different pronunciations and meanings, depending on context. This tool speaks text aloud in high-quality voices and includes bilingual dictionaries in many languages.
Availability and Pricing
The Speak and See Suite is available for purchase from Enablemart and is available in both Standard and Academic editions.